Making Yourself a Valuable In-House Counsel
Mike Williams, Senior Advisor, BarkerGilmore and former General Counsel, Staples, opened the meeting with an outstanding presentation on professional development that provided tips on ways that senior legal team members can enhance their value to their companies. He emphasized the importance of:
- selflessness in taking on less desirable projects to help the legal department and business teams,
- being proactive as opposed to reactive, and
- effectively communicating, not only with legal team members, but also with business clients.
The Fall 2019 L2 Meeting concluded with six peer-to-peer benchmarking sessions.
Peer-to-Peer Benchmarking Sessions
Each session was facilitated by in-house counsel and provided participants an opportunity share experiences, challenges and practical solutions on the following topics:
- ADA Litigation: Public Accommodation
- Bring Your Own Device Policies for Store Associates
- CBD Products
- Legal Department Metrics
- Legal Department Operations
- Intake Process Systems and Review
- Paralegals – How Companies Use Them & Case Workload
- Preparing for California Consumer Protection Act (CCPA)
For more information regarding RILA’s Legal Direct Reports (L2) Committee contact Kathleen McGuigan, EVP & Deputy GC, at email@example.com.