Speaker proposals for the 2015 Retail Asset Protection Conference are due on September 5, 2014. Please visit the Call for Speakers tab for more information.
Save the Date
Retail Asset Protection 2015
May 3-6, 2015
Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
2015 Asset Protection Steering Committee
Cybersecurity Panel Closes 2014 Retail Asset Protection Conference
Panel of Cybersecurity Experts Closes Day Three
The 2014 Retail Asset Protection Conference closed with a panel discussion on the evolving cybersecurity threat landscape featuring Shawn Henry, President, CrowdStrike Services, Lou Stephens, Special Agent in Charge, United States Secret Service, and Richard Noguera, Head of Information Security, Gap Inc. Ryan Knisley, a security expert with Accenture, moderated the panel.
Together, Mr. Henry, Special Agent Stephens and Mr. Noguera, shed light on the increasingly persistent and sophisticated threat Americans face from cyber-criminals. Drawing from their experience and frontline exposure, the panelists offered insight into evolving threats, strategies for responding to threats and attacks, safeguards to protect consumer data and fostered discussion on how the retail industry can enhance the national cybersecurity landscape through information sharing and cement consumer trust.
Following the cybersecurity discussion, the conference attendees were treated to a presentation by NASA’s Adam Steltzner, who as the lead landing engineer for NASA’s Mars Curiosity Rover, led a diverse team facing a near impossible challenge and years of set-backs. Mr. Steltzner shared his team’s journey and offered insights on maintaining focus and drive in the face of adversity, a message that resonates with asset protection professionals.
This year’s conference brought industry leaders together for three days of education, research and networking focused on emerging challenges and problem-solving.
“The amount of ground covered over the past three days is unprecedented,” said Lisa LaBruno, senior vice president of retail operations at RILA. “The cutting-edge educational content, endless networking opportunities and showcased technology makes this conference a must-attend event for every asset protection practitioner who wants to take their corporate programs and strategies to the next level.”
A Few Highlights from the Main Stage on Day Two
Day two marks another successful day at RILA's Retail Asset Protection Conference 2014! Thanks again to all of our attendees for joining us, and making this another great year.
- Masters students from the University Of Texas McCombs School Of Business presented evidence from projects studying the return on investment of common asset protection strategies, remote monitoring and point-of-sale exception reports, sharing insight on how asset protection leaders can focus the efforts of their teams to deliver results.
Jeremiah Hart, Instructor at the Force Training Institute led a session on the impact of active shooter events, sharing real-life case studies, effective responses and training tips for your teams.
Attendees Listen to an Exhibitor Presentation
- A moderated panel of three senior asset protection executives – Bob Oberosler, group vice president, asset protection at Rite Aid, Libby Rabun, vice president, loss prevention at AutoZone and Mark Stinde, vice president, asset protection at 7-Eleven – shared varying points of view on the current state of the retail AP industry, as well as future challenges and opportunities.
- Attendees received a glimpse into how to manage social media from an asset protection viewpoint with social media expert and best-selling author of eBoot Camp, Corey Perlman.
- And, day two concluded with tips and strategies from David Sarkus, the Safety Coach on creating a culture of safety.
Day One Highlights
Jack Uldrich, global futurist, and best-selling author
The conference kicked off with a lot of buzz about the critical role of asset protection in achieving retail success, the changing face (and faces) of AP, and lots of talk about new technologies, innovation and training.
- Rick Damron, chief operating officer of Lowe's Companies, Inc., shared his unique perspective on the critical role of asset protection in delivering the overall customer experience, driving sales and customer satisfaction while mitigating risk.
- Afterburner team member Scott "Intake" Kartvedt got the crowd motivated for flawless execution, using the proven process used by elite fighter pilots to execute missions when stakes are high and failure is not an option.
- RILA's signature Open Forums occurred at the beginning of the program and featured extended discussion time, where participants met peers with mutual interests and discussed business challenges in an atmosphere designed for open sharing.
- Jack Uldrich, global futurist, and best-selling author outlined ten trends transforming the world of retail. Attendees learned a series of concrete actions to take today to future-proof their businesses against “the tides of tomorrow.”
The valuable education continued into the Breakout Sessions, where participants delved into the most relevant issues in investigations, technology & innovation, operational shrink, workplace safety, leadership & development, and audit & analytics.
Afterburner team member Scott "Intake" Kartvedt
- The Exhibit Hall bustled with action throughout the Exhibit Hall Preview hour and the Networking Reception.