- Meredith C. Slawe
- Defends leading businesses in class actions and complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts across the country.
- Represents companies in significant matters involving privacy and consumer protection-based claims and advises them on related compliance issues.
- Leads the firm’s retail industry group and is an advocate for, and advisor to, many of the world’s most prominent retailers.
Meredith Slawe is a partner in the litigation group and co-chair of the retail industry group. She defends companies in consumer class actions and commercial cases in federal and state courts and arbitration proceedings across the country. Meredith is a leader in the national class action defense bar and is one of the preeminent advocates for, and trusted advisors to, the retail industry.
A thoughtful and well-respected litigator, Meredith has devised creative and successful strategies for defeating high-stakes cases, and she proactively advises clients on ways to mitigate risk in emerging areas of litigation. She is a recognized authority on the evolving consumer protection and privacy landscape at the federal level and in California, Illinois, New Jersey, Florida, Massachusetts and other jurisdictions.
Meredith has significant experience representing many of the world’s leading retailers in class action litigation and advising them on compliance issues. She collaborates with, and represents, the Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) and the Retail Litigation Center (RLC) in significant class action proceedings. Meredith is a member of the California Retailers Association and earned a Certificate from Harvard Business School’s Executive Education Program for Senior Leaders in Retail in June 2017.
Meredith has a deep understanding of key issues facing retailers, including:
- advertising, labeling and marketing
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- artificial intelligence
- asset protection
- automatic renewals and subscriptions
- call recording
- children’s privacy
- credit card truncation laws
- credit reporting
- cyber security
- gift cards
- in-store and mobile tracking
- loyalty programs
- PII collection, retention and dissemination
- Proposition 65 and toxic chemical compliance laws
- social media
- terms and conditions and privacy policies
- text messaging
- Transparency in Supply Chain Act and human trafficking and slavery disclosures
- vendor management
Meredith also advises clients on interposing arbitration agreements in consumer transactions and on compliance with a host of statutes, including:
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- California Consumer Privacy Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Biometric Information Protection Act
- Cable Communications Policy Act
- Video Privacy Protection Act
- Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
- Truth-in-Consumer Contract, Warranty, and Notice Act
- False Advertising Law
- Unfair Competition Law
- Consumers Legal Remedies Act
- Shine the Light Law
- Song-Beverly Credit Card Act
- California Invasion of Privacy Act
Meredith organized a successful California Retail Class Actions Summit in New York in November 2017. She is frequently invited to speak and write on issues pertaining to class action defense, privacy and the retail industry. Meredith has presented on issues related to women in the profession and on her path to partnership to law students and practicing attorneys at prestigious conferences across the country.
Meredith has guest-lectured on privacy law at the University of Pennsylvania’s Annenberg School of Communications and at Penn Law School. She is a graduate of Leadership Philadelphia and is deeply engaged in the local community through volunteer organizations and cultural and academic institutions.