The Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) announced today that they will hold the first ever Labor and Employment Law Forum on March 21-22, 2012, at the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. The conference will provide valuable insight from members of Congress, legal experts and retailers on the latest issues on labor and employment law affecting the retail industry.
“Retailers find themselves at a crossroads with the recent and unprecedented activity coming out of the Department of Labor and the National Labor Relations Board,” said Katherine Lugar, executive vice president of public affairs. “This forum is a unique opportunity for retailers to join their peers to discuss these recent changes and other relevant issues affecting the industry, as well as discuss how retailers should prepare moving forward and what proactive steps they can take.”
The one-day event will also afford the opportunity for lawyers within the retail teams to earn valuable continuing legal education (CLE) credits.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Congressional Outlook: With a divided Congress and election year politics, what lies in store for potential labor legislation in 2012? Hear from experts on what the future holds in 2012 and beyond.
- The NLRB: Last year brought the Specialty Healthcare case decision, streamline election rulemaking and much more. With the legality of recent NLRB appointments in question our insiders will tell you what to expect from the Board this year and how retailers are adjusting to the current regulations.
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: Learn what you should know about the guidance expected early this year and other decisions that significantly impact retailers.
- Social Media Usage: What you need to know to protect your company.
- California Wage & Hour: California's wage and hour laws often present significant challenges to employers. Our moderated panel will discuss recent case decisions and potential upcoming litigation.
The full program schedule and more information can be found here. For information on how non-retailers can present, sponsor and attend, contact Tripp Taylor at 703-600-2023 or email@example.com.
RILA is the trade association of the world’s largest and most innovative retail companies. RILA members include more than 200 retailers, product manufacturers, and service suppliers, which together account for more than $1.5 trillion in annual sales, millions of American jobs and more than 100,000 stores, manufacturing facilities and distribution centers domestically and abroad.